Friday, June 27, 2008

NASCAR not in Wheldon's future

Dan Wheldon has ruled out a possible move to NASCAR in the future. The young (if you consider 30 being young) English driver who found victory lane last week in Iowa has changed his mind about making a move to stock car racing.

"Up until this year, I really did consider NASCAR and the reason I did is I'm a driver," Wheldon said. "I like to be on track and I like the fact they race so much. But with the merging together of both open-wheel series, the series is really fun to drive in right now."

Wheldon is in the final year of his contract with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, and said he has talked with Ganassi about an extension of his original three-year deal. Wheldon said the deal isn't done yet, but he hopes it will be done soon.

"When you have more cars like that, it's definitely fun to drive," Wheldon said. "So I would say with the fact I think they're going to continue to build the schedule and from what I understand they're going to allow more testing during the season . . . that's what I'm looking for. . . . I definitely think I will be in IndyCars for certainly the next three years after this one."

NASCAR? Wheldon says no [Richmond Times Dispatch]

No comments:

Post a Comment