Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Coulda, woulda, shoulda!

Man, when I think about how much I love cars and all the information I've absorbed about them, it really bums me out that I kind of missed my calling. I work with computers and It's OK but I don't have the passion for it that I have for cars. I wish I would have realized this many years ago.

I could have made a career in the automotive industry. Maybe automotive design, that would be cool. Or how about an automotive journalist. That would be even better. Those guys have the greatest jobs working for car magazines. They get all kinds of cars literally thrown at them to drive and give their opinions on. I did look into that and I thought that it would probably require a journalism degree or something like that but I found that a lot of the mags now seem to only hire automotive engineers to write for them. I don't see how that makes their opinion on how good a car is or isn't any better than mine or someone else.

Either way I think you have to take what they say in a lot of the magazines with a grain of salt anyway. Lots of people are convinced that many of the bigger mags are biased since they take advertising money from the very companies whose cars they are evaluating. How can you be objective and fair in evaluating products from sponsors paying thousands or millions of dollars to your magazine? You don 't want to be the guy who wrote the article that led to the mag loosing a major sponsor!

Hell, I've even considered becoming a car salesman. Though I don't know if I could live with the reputation of being sleazy and dishonest, even if I was.

Maybe that's why I'm starting this blog. I can say that I work in the automotive field. Kinda. That's it. I'm now an automotive journalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment