Thursday, March 19, 2009

Garry Sowerby: A Memorable Interview

Over the Christmas holidays, a select group of people received my limited edition signed and numbered Holiday card, and their responses were overwhelming.

















One of the recipients was local automotive journalist, record-breaker, adventurer, and event planner Garry Sowerby. I was always intrigued by his exploits, so I thought I should send him one of the cards.

In turn, Garry was intrigued to receive this card sent to him by a person completely unknown to him. So he called me to do an interview for his �Road Less Traveled� weekly feature in the �Wheels� section of our local Halifax Chronicle Herald paper.


I was thrilled to meet Garry. He has been described as the Indiana Jones of adventure driving, and has 4 world distance/time records under his belt, including 1980 world circumnavigation by car �Odyssey 77� in a Volvo station wagon in a record-breaking 74 days! His next record-breaking drive was the 1984 fastest drive from the bottom of Africa to the top of Europe �Africa-Arctic Challenge� (28 days), where he was shot at by Shifta bandits in Kenya. His third was the 1987 fastest drive from the bottom to the top of the Americas �Pan American Challenge� (23 days), and his last was the 1997 world circumnavigation by car �Frontera World Challenge� where he beat his origin record, with his new record being an amazing 21 days! All have been published in the Guinness Book of World Records.


He has published a great book of his adventures called �Sowerby�s Road � Adventures of a Driven Mind�. His company Odyssey International Limited does event planning and product launches for the major automotive companies, including General Motors, Honda, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Saturn, Saab, Vauxhall, Subaru and Ford.

Like I said, I was honoured to be interviewed by such accomplished adventurer. You can read his feature below; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment